[Mgs] Clutch problems.

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Tue Nov 19 01:47:34 MST 2013

You say 'obviously not working', what do you mean?  Not engaging?  Not
disengaging?  Or something else?

You say the hydraulics seem fine and the pedal feels OK.  Therefore there
must be back-pressure from the cover-plate diaphragm springs i.e. from the
slave piston via the slave push-rod, release arm and release bearing to the
cover-plate, or the pedal would feel ridiculously light with just the pedal
return spring acting on the pedal.  Without that back-pressure after two or
three pumps the slave piston and fluid would have been pushed out of the
slave cylinder, as it's only the cover plate that pushes it back when you
release the pedal.  Therefore the release bearing must be in it's correct
position, even if the retaining springs hadn't been fitted.  If they hadn't,
unless the gearbox was standing on end and the engine lowered down onto it,
I very much doubt the release bearing would have stayed attached to the
release arm, and there would be no back-pressure from the cover-plate to the
pedal.

If the friction plate is put in backwards you have a gap between the
friction surface and the flywheel which is more than the thickness of the
friction plate, and the cover plate is held that much further away as well.
Even if that can be bolted up to the flywheel it will push the diaphragm
springs, release bearing and everything else further backwards by the same
amount.  Given the mechanical advantage of the release arm the slave
push-rod and piston will be pushed into the slave cylinder by several times
more than the normal travel of the piston, which will bottom the piston in
its cylinder.  If, with the pedal released, you can push the piston further
back into the cylinder, and get some free-play in the linkage, then it is
very unlikely that the friction plate is the wrong way round.

If the spigot bearing is too small then someone would have had huge problems
getting engine and gearbox back together.

I agree that it has to come out again, but I'd do what whatever is needed to
make the unusual noise and hope it leaves some witness marks that are
visible when you dismantle things again.  It could be that the release arm
and hence the release bearing is not aligned correctly and so the release
bearing casting is rubbing on the cover-plate boss that the carbon surface
rubs against.  I assume this is a carbon bearing and not a roller?  If a
roller that has to be the main suspect for any unusual noises that occur as
you apply pressure.  If the noise only occurs towards the end of the pedal
travel that I'd say it is something like release arm or release baring
rubbing on the cover plate.

This assumes that the correct clutch kit was fitted, and there is nothing
wrong with it.  My son has recently had a clutch replaced on an M5 and the
fitter went through three different ones fitted five times before he
discovered that despite the correct numbers on the boxes there was a defect
on the whole batch causing then not to disengage as they should.