[Mgs] Clutch problems.

Jim Juhas james.f.juhas at snet.net
Tue Nov 19 08:22:41 MST 2013

I don't know if your car uses a roller bearing or carbon bearing, nor
did you say that this had been operating correctly and that this is now
a failure.

If this is a recent failure, I would suspect the throwout bearing.  I
had a carbon-type one fail abruptly, caused grumbling sounds, and then
the clutch could not be disengaged.  The carbon had disintegrated and
fell out of the shell.  The steel/iron remainder of the bearing against
the pressure plate accounted for the noises.

I have had roller-bearing throwout bearings fail on 60's-era Chevelles,
and they would make a lot of noise before their failure. The carbon-type
failure was abrupt, a snap, no disengagement, and noise when the pedal
was depressed.