[Mgs] front hub removal problem

Chris Moog cgmoog at optonline.net
Sat Oct 22 13:41:36 MDT 2011

Its been a while since I've done the job, but you need to thread
something on to the bolt and pull it and the attached cup off (I drilled
a small plumbing pipe cap and bolted it to the cup and then threaded a
length of pipe to the cap and pulled the cup off).

Under the cap is the bolt holding the front bearings on.  I can't
remember what prevents the bolt from spinning but it is obvious (cotter
pin or washer with a flat or pinned washer).  Only other trick is
setting the free play.

Install the new bearings or clean up the old ones.  Sort the shims from
thinnest to thickest.  With no grease on the bearings, install the hub
with the thickest shim only. While slowly tightening the hub retaining
bolt keep rotating the hub.  If the hub binds stop tightening and
install more shims.  Final setting is when removal of the thinnest shim
causes the hub to bind and reinstalling the thinnest shim allows the hub
to freely rotate when the hub bolt is torqued down.

After finding the shim set you need, disassemble the hub, pack the
bearings in grease and reassembly with the shims that caused no binding..