[Mgs] MG6 Review

Geoff geoff at 1956mga.com
Mon Mar 28 08:51:33 MST 2011

Complaining about GPS/Sat Nav just seems silly.  It's a tool, use it wrong
and it'll be an issue. There are plenty of examples of dumb people getting
lost in the wilderness because they can't read a map or use a compass.
Shall we complain about that technology too?   Don't blame the tool, blame
the idiot using it.

I use my GPS all the time.  I travel a bit for work, and arriving in a new
town, I can pull up Yelp on my phone, get a review for a restaurant, and
click a button to open the directions in the GPS functions, which can then
give me walking or driving directions to the restaurant.  It's brilliant.
For the luddites out there, I suppose you could catalog the restaurant
reviews from the paper, maybe in a three ring binder.  Then, once you've
picked one, find a pay phone (good luck with that) to call and get the
address, then pull out the paper map.  Good luck with the rerouting if you
miss an exit or there is construction.  Make sure you pull over before you
use the map.

I'll be enjoying my dinner before you get there, and be back to the hotel in
time to get a goods night rest.

I live in Los Angeles, so I'll mention too that my GPS (built into my
smart-phone) also offers real time traffic information.  I don't use it
often, as I bicycle a short distance to work most days, but it does help
when I need it.   Never seen a paper map with that.

I will agree with Barney (? I think that was who said it) that I think it's
a shame that it's tough to get a new car without GPS/Sat nav built in, as
most I've seen built into cars are far behind the technology I carry in my
pocket.  I'd hate to pay more (whether as an option, or just built into the
price) for a system that is technologically inferior to the one I carry in
my phone.  But I don't buy new cars often, and the last one I did was very
inexpensive, so hopefully it'll be a few years before I have to do that.

Geoff