[Mgs] Windscreen replacement

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Wed Oct 20 15:56:46 MDT 2010

My 64B is in the midst of a windshield replacement. It is mostly to
replace the solidified rubber seals although the windshield itself also
has some scratches likely due to a flying wiper problem. I decided in
this case to have a local windshield shop do the work. The manager
quoted a price slightly higher than a new windshield would cost from
Moss but also includes installation. My original plan was to have them
do both the 64B and the 72B, the 72B just needs new seals. I dropped the
64B off this morning, hoping it would be in for just a few hours. But
they have run into complications. I hope this doesn't impact my plan of
getting both cars done but maybe I should have done the 72 first. The
72B windshield was on/off about five years ago but the body shop
installed the bottom seal incorrectly so its folded back under (if you
know what I mean) and it leaks.

But back to the 64B - they are having trouble removing the windscreen.
One of those under the dash bolts may have been cross-threaded by the
DPO so they are having problems removing it, indicating the head of the
bolt is about to break off. What size are these bolts? I need to locate
at least a replacement although its likely a common size. I do recall an
article some years back that suggested using a GM bolt of some kind,
with the pointed tip, that allows it to guide in easier. Anyone know
what those bolts might be?

David Councill

64 B

67 BGT