[Mgs] Windscreen replacement

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 21 02:27:42 MDT 2010

I *think* they are 3/8" by 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" coarse thread, but the easiest
thing is to use one of the ones that has come out as a pattern.  Also easy
enough to grind a point on a standard bolt of a suitable length, but the
correct bolts are available from the usual suspects anyway.

The big problem is going to be removing the broken stud, at least enough to
get the screen out.  If the bolt goes through a plain hole in the packing
piece first, and then into thread in the frame legs, you should only need to
drill through the packing piece to remove the frame, then you can attack the
threaded part on the bench where you will be able to get to both sides.  But
I also seem to recall (car not handy) that there is a cover panel on the
outside of the frame legs visible when the door is open, which if removed
may give access to the thread from the other side to apply releasing fluid
or heat.