[Mgs] rocker threads causing problems

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Mon Oct 11 08:48:49 MDT 2010

  Though it is possible to remove R&R pistons and rings with engine in the
car, better work can be done with engine out. R&R of the engine is about four
hours each way if you have a helper and good luck with rusted fastenings.
  Even if it were to turn out that cylinders have no oval or tapered wear and
do not need machine shop attention, with engine out there is opportunity to
clean up the accumulated dirt, paint inaccessible items and do other
maintenance chores.
  If the head is already off, one can lift by the head studs, and you might as
well replace all the studs because of their unknown history.
Bob