[Mgs] Tyre life expectancy

Richard Gosling rbgosling at googlemail.com
Thu May 27 05:01:09 MDT 2010

I wouldn't want tyres that were more than 10 years old on my car, whatever
mileage they'd done and whatever they looked like.

I saw a fascinating youtube clip (sorry, it was months ago, lost the link),
an excerpt from some American investigative journalism program, on the
subject.  It said that in the EU tyres have sell-by dates, so they
legally can't be sold even if they are totally unused.  These don't apply in
the US, and they interviewed some suppliers trying to squirm out a
justification (inevitably interspersed with sob stories about horrific
injuries caused by old tyres).

They can be rotten underneath while still looking fine on the surface.

Just my opinion...

Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT)