[Mgs] Ultimate "top down" cap?

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 25 11:44:46 MDT 2010

I was at Target yesterday and stumbled upon a cap that turned out to be the
best solution yet for staying on my head at highway speeds in the MGB.

I have had trouble finding anything that seemed really secure, for a couple
of reasons: I'm tall, so the top of my head is exposed to the slipstream; my
head is large, so most caps aren't full enough in the crown to pull down to
my ear level for a secure grip; and my hair is long and full, tending to
slip out and flap around, undermining the cap's already tenuous grip.

This cap was labeled "Men's Military Cap" ($12.99), and I suppose it
resembles the type known as a forage cap, with a high crown and a shortish
bill. It also reminds me of a traditional railway engineers cap. It's
resemblance to either of these two is somewhat diminished by the fabric,
which is neither olive drab, camo, or striped -- it's a dull blue tartan.
I'm guessing this was intended to evoke a grunge sensibility, for youth
appeal. I can't really say if this was successful.

But the reason this cap is so stable in the high-turbulence environment of
the MG cockpit is because it has elastic along the back, so it stays snug.
The short, stiff, forward-raked bill also aids stability (as opposed to a
long baseball-style bill, which catches the wind, generates lift and even
vibrates).

I find driving is far more pleasant and less stressful if you aren't
constantly snatching at your cap. I thought I'd share this discovery for the
benefit of others who might be similarly afflicted.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149