[Mgs] losing a wheel

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Apr 30 09:28:22 MDT 2010

Presumably well into the journey than.  I've had a wheel (front) come loose
after only half a dozen miles when I forgot to fully tighten the nuts the
day before, but fortunately I heard an odd noise then immediately realised
what it was and all four nuts were still there (as well as the one behind
the wheel).  To get so far before it happened looks like they were under
insufficient torque, which is 60-65 lb ft, but I've no idea what that feels
like.  There was a spate of the opposite happening to UK police cars at one
time - studs shearing off.  This was because any one patrol vehicle could be
driven by two or three teams a day, and each one checked the wheel nuts (and
other stuff) before taking the car out.  The way this was done was by
tightening them up a little bit more each time ...

Do steel wheels have hardened seats?  Never heard of it.