[Mgs] losing a wheel

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Apr 30 09:51:55 MDT 2010

Interesting, the V8 wheel nuts also have a flat washer that clamps onto the
flat face of the wheel centre, and not a conical seat, if I understand you
correctly.  Using a conical nut in this case will only give a tiny clamping
area, probably quite capable of distorting the alloy and loosening the nut.

As an aside because of this (on V8s) there is a certain amount of movement
of the wheel on the shank of the nuts which could affect balance.  Since I
started getting balance problems on the V8 I've always used two Rostyle nuts
(with conical end) to centre the wheel on the studs before fitting and
tightening two of the correct nuts, then removing the Rostyle nuts and
fitting the other two V8 nuts.  Maybe over-doing it, but once you get into
the habit it's easier to keep going.  I welded a strip of metal from an old
body panel round the flats of the Rostyle nuts so the standard wheel brace
fits them.