[Mgs] latch problem

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 23 11:49:11 MDT 2010

After replacing my boot lid (with a used one that did not have the Fold of
Death), I also had a great deal of trouble getting it to latch.My latch loop
looks like the one on the right, more or less, with a bit of a righthand
slant to it. I tried bending the loop in several directions, flipping it
over, spacing it out from the body with washers, and possibly opening up the
screw holes for more adjustment. I stopped tinkering when it would latch
under applied pressure -- I close the lid, then lean on the lid with my hand
on the lock handle until it clicks. If I don't lean it just sits there
unlatched.

Of course, the entire panel between the taillamps on my B consists of 2
inches of body filler over what looks like corrugated metal (being that
mangled), so it is understandable that the latch may be somewhat misaligned.
YMMV.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149