[Mgs] latch problem

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Fri Apr 23 10:02:56 MDT 2010

I have run into a bit of a mystery with the boot lid on my 64B
restoration project - I haven't been able to get it to latch. I removed
the locking mechanism to better see where the problem is and I can see
that the latch doesn't reach high enough to even get to the latching
mechanism. I removed the latch and compared it to the reddish one that
came from the car (the newer latch came from a swap meet):

http://www.karamursel.org/mg/latch.jpg

My original thought was the flatter one was a BGT latch but it looks
like Moss only lists one latch and the picture looks like the flatter,
shorter one. So I checked my functional 72B setup and it is also using
the flatter one. Did the early MGBs use a different latching setup? It
looks like the flat one leaves me some 6-8 mm or so short of where it
needs to be. Might anyone have a spare of the reddish one on the left
they could part with?

The picture was part of a quick webpage I patched up on my 64B
restoration. I still have the carbs, radiator, and the trunk left to
work on before I hook up electricity and try to start it after its 18
years of inactivity.

http://www.karamursel.org/mg/restoration2.htm

David Councill

64 B