[Mgs] MGA axle carrier threads

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Sun Mar 22 04:28:10 MST 2009

At 06:02 AM 3/22/2009 -0500, Robert J. Guinness wrote:
>Well, the axle carrier threads for the hub nut on my MGA 1600 are
>totally knackered. .... I tried a universal thread chaser.  I also
>tied Barney Gaylord's suggestion of cutting a nut, sliding it over
>the threads, clamping it back together and turning it back and
>forth.  I still cannot start the nut (its a LH  nut with LH axle
>threads). What are my options?

If you cannot start the nut then you need to chase the threads some
more.  In particular, file or grind any burrs off of the first
thread, and put a little chamfer on it, then chase the threrads
again.  The only reason a nut won't start is because of a buggered
thread with burrs or excess material above the nominal thread
surface.  A thread chaser should always be able to remove enough
materail to clean it up so a nut will start and run free.

Once you get the nut to run free the condition of the remaining
thread may need some consideration as to whether it is serviceable (or not).