[Mgs] MGA axle carrier threads

Pete Chast pchast at francomm.com
Sun Mar 22 09:06:12 MST 2009

Has anyone suggested that the nut is dammaged? check the lead threads on
the nut and stud side carefully. You may need to file off and open the
first 1/4 of a thread. Don't go so far that you loose a signifficant part
of the nut's 'hold'.

Pete

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 03:28:10 -0800, Barney Gaylord <barneymg at mgaguru.com>
wrote:

> At 06:02 AM 3/22/2009 -0500, Robert J. Guinness wrote:
>> Well, the axle carrier threads for the hub nut on my MGA 1600 are
>> totally knackered. .... I tried a universal thread chaser.  I also tied
>> Barney Gaylord's suggestion of cutting a nut, sliding it over the
>> threads, clamping it back together and turning it back and forth.  I
>> still cannot start the nut (its a LH  nut with LH axle threads). What
>> are my options?
>
> If you cannot start the nut then you need to chase the threads some
> more.  In particular, file or grind any burrs off of the first thread,
> and put a little chamfer on it, then chase the threrads again.  The only
> reason a nut won't start is because of a buggered thread with burrs or
> excess material above the nominal thread surface.  A thread chaser
> should always be able to remove enough materail to clean it up so a nut
> will start and run free.

Snip..