[Mgs] Suggestions needed - where to go in Scotland?

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 20 08:44:27 MST 2008

The west coast is probably more 'interesting' scenically.  Luss at Loch
Lomond is a quaint village on the shore, then via Glenco (site of the famous
massacre) and Fort William to Kyle of Lochalsh.  If you have time there is
the Inchree to Corran ferry which takes you to the most westerly point of
the UK mainland at Ardnamurchan.  From Kyle of Lochalsh over the bridge to
Skye, to circle round and come back by the little ferry at Kylerhea to
Glenelg.  From Kyle of Lochalsh and Lochcarron over Bealach na Baa (pass of
the cattle) reputed to be the most spectacular road in Britain, with superb
(if the weather is clear!) views of Skye from the top.  Depending on how
much time you have you could do the great circle to take in Cape Wrath (most
north-westerly point), Dunnet Head (most northerly point), and John O'
Groats (most north-easterly point), and a relatively dull drive back down to
Inverness.  If you don't do that circle probably Loch Ness is the most
obvious route to Inverness and the battlefield (or is it massacre?) at
Culloden.  We stayed at Carrbridge just off the A9 at an old chapel and had
deer grazing in the gardens at breakfast and dinner.  From Carrbridge you
are within striking distance of Aviemore, Osprey at Loch Garten, Balmoral
and Crathie and the Malt trail, watch out for stags leaping into the roads
in front of you!.  Heading south you have the old Queens family home at
Glamis north of Dundee, then down to Edinburgh over the road bridge to see
how far they have got painting the Firth of Forth rail bridge.  Heading
south towards Hull there is Berwick on Tweed - the only English town to have
a football team in the Scottish league - Holy Island and its causeway
flooded at high tide, Bamburgh Castle and its fabulous beaches and views of
the Farne Islands, Newcastle and its bridges, the transporter bridge (of
'Auf Wiedersehen Pet' fame) at Middlesborough, reputedly the only octagonal
(compulsory MG content) lighthouse in Britain at Flamborough Head, and then
at least a sight of if not a return trip over the Humber Bridge just outside
Hull.