[Mgs] MGB valve cover/crankcase venting

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 07:27:18 MST 2008

No not the pre-PCV system but post PCV system where ports on the carbs
between the butterfly and the piston provided a relatively constant
low-level of vacuum.  I doubt you will detect operation of the valve at the
inlet manifold - unless it is faulty and stuck wide open!  With the engine
running it will be constantly open but only slightly, the only variation
being it will be open a bit more at wider throttle openings to achieve much
the same relatively constant but low level vacuum in the crankcase of the
later system.  The best way to check the operation of the valve is to look
for suction or vacuum on the crankcase side of the valve, but it is only
going to be a couple of in. Hg. so may not register on a gauge.  The easiest
way is to put the palm of your hand or a sheet of paper across the open oil
filler orifice and it should be sucked gently down.  It should also cause a
slight change in engine idle as you remove and replace the oil filler cap,
even a ventilated one.