[Mgs] MGB valve cover/crankcase venting

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 13 03:34:04 MST 2008

Which carbs?  From October 68 the original SUs had breather ports coming off
the top of the throats, connected to a Y-piece, and then piped to the front
tappet chest cover.  The rocker cover should have a vented oil filler cap
fitted and any port on the back sealed off.  Alternatively you can keep the
sealed filler cap and put a small filter on the vent at the back.  The
former is neater and what was done to non-emissions cars, but the latter
makes it more obvious what has been done.  In the former case if the filler
cap happened to be replaced with a non-breathing type there would no longer
be any crankcase ventilation, just vacuum, which could increase oil burning
and result in internal condensation and corrosion.

Between Feb64 and Oct 68 a PCV valve was mounted on the inlet manifold to
give the suction, and piped to the front cover or tappet chest cover.  The
rocker cover arrangements would be the same as above.  But the PCV valve is
troublesome, if you have the carbs with the breather ports that is a much
better arrangement.  But if you have carbs other than the SUs, like Webers,
you will need a PCV valve anyway for proper ventilation.