[Mgs] Head-on collision NOT for the faint hearted

Dan DiBiase d_dibiase at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 17 10:32:29 MST 2007

ATWEDITOR at aol.com wrote: Back in the 60s when U.S. schools still offered "drivers education" before
the insurance nazis forced them to stop, there was a handful of
blood-on-the-hiway movies shown to instill the fear of something worse than  god.  The
all-time classic was "Broken Glass."

Not only did those films of all that carnage make me slow up a  little bit,
it lessened my sense of shock when I went to Viet Nam a few years  later and
saw the same kind of thing, but not from a car accident.

They still offer it, Jay, and still show the same movie I saw in the '70's. Of course, gym teachers teach it... But the main teacher in my son's HS is pretty god. He is certified as a driver's ed instructor (not just classroom but car-based). I think you're referring to the schools having a couple of cars for on-road training. That is certainly gone.

In NJ, you cannot get a learner's permit without going through a certified driving school. Of course, the US drvier's tests are a joke, compared to the training you get in other parts of the world. The toughest part of the driving test here continues to be parallel parking.

      Dan D
Central NJ USA
'76 MGB Tourer - Driver - <cough cough> What's that smoke? <cough cough>
'65 MGB Tourer Project - Yep, still is....
  '04 Audi A4 1.8T q MT-6 - quattro, baby!
NAMGBR #5-2328
  http://dans65b.blogspot.com/