[Mgs] Old Gas

British Motor Classics, Ltd. bmcspares at aol.com
Tue Nov 13 10:02:33 MST 2007

Ron,

I would remove the old gas from the car, put in fresh fuel and start off with best for your overhaul.? If you have a "newer" car with fuel injection I would run that old gas through that vehicle.? We discovered that the new fuels we have here?in Arizona and California is oxygenated and only has a shelf life of 45 days before it starts to break down.? The "newer" car with its fuel injection seems to have less effect on running old fuel vs cars with carbs on them.? The fuel injectioned engine will adjust itself to overcome any running problems associated with old fuel.? Make sure you fill the "new" car with fresh fuel to dilute the old stuff out as much as you can to make sure it has only minimum effect on the overall running and ensure the fuel injectors don't get?gummed up.? Good luck with your rebuild.? Run the engine with the starter and?spark plugs removed to ensure you get oil pressure before starting and?don't forget to run the engine up to 2000 rpms to run the bearings in for about 4-5 minutes then let it idle down.

Jon Nyhus
Phoenix Arizona