[Mgs] New Harness has arrived

Marc smarc at smarc.net
Wed Jul 4 23:38:56 MDT 2007

I solved the mystery of the missing connector once I started to finish
the wiring inside the car. All the wires are present in the new harness,
but terminated on a molex connector. In a small plastic bag attached to
the new harness I found a matching molex connector and pins to mate with
it. I guess that connector was no longer available. You cut it off the
old harness, install the pins, snap them into the supplied molex
connector and plug it all in. No documentation was supplied with the
harness however.

One other issue is that until today I had not yet connected up the
branch that goes to the starter. Did that this afternoon and discovered
this harness doesn't have  the white/green that goes to a terminal on
the solenoid. I'm pretty sure it's function is to supply full battery
(ballast bypass) voltage to the coil while starting.

So we set the dash in place with no bolts yet, hooking up all the
remaining connections. Then I hooked up my battery charger to the
battery wires, and set it on the two amp setting and began testing. Each
thing I tested worked, and no problems were found. So I hooked up the
battery and turned the key. It cranked, and in spite of the fact that I
had not hooked up the choke cable yet (and the lack of ballast bypass)
it started up!

Still have a lot of stuff to do, actually need to take the dash back out
so I can install the defroster vents. The grilles had some rust spots on
them, so I bead blasted and re-sprayed them. But I could get it buttoned
up in the next day or two if I can manage enough time!

Marc