[Mgs] New Harness has arrived

Marc smarc at smarc.net
Tue Jul 3 22:36:20 MDT 2007

I decided to cut each connector off the harness, leaving enough to ID
each wire. That was an excellent and worthwhile suggestion! Very glad I
asked for tips! Thanks to all who suggested that technique.

Working carefully, it took me about 45 minutes to remove the old
harness, including taking some notes and digital pictures along the
way.  I also compared things to the new harness as I went about removing
the old harness.

While everything was out, I spent a few minutes cleaning the previously
inaccessible areas. I got the new harness in place, and began  in the
engine compartment at the firewall. Working my way around the harness,
up to the lights and horns, across to the brake switches. A *lot* of
time was spent cleaning the existing bullets and any connectors that
were getting reused, applying dielectric grease and making sure
connectors were snug. And of course the phone ringing seemingly every 5
minutes all day...

The job isn't particularly difficult, just time consuming and a bit
fiddly. Everything matched up and fit nicely, with only three "mystery
wires", which I'll worry with (and ask about) later. Once that was
complete, I decided to pull the wheel boxes since the dash was apart.
They needed the old hard grease cleaned out, so spent some time R&R +
cleaning and lubing them.

Next I began to put the harness in place in the dash board, which is
about the time I had one of those "Oh Shit" moments - This new harness
does NOT have the connector that goes to what I believe is the seat belt
buzzer or time delay relay. It's a small black box, slightly larger then
a relay, that mounts on the inside of the console. BTW, the car is an 80
LE, car number 509353.

Total time so far - about 5 1/2 hours.

I had to quit working and clean up at that point, so I didn't have time
to examine the differences between the harnesses. After stewing on it,
I'm wondering if it's really even a problem??? The buzzer wasn't
operable when I got the car, and I don't really want it, so unless there
is some other interaction, perhaps it doesn't even matter?

Marc