[Mgs] Totally off topic but funny

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Wed Dec 26 06:24:55 MST 2007

  There is another explanation for this less-than-even dollar pricing,
one I read in Invention & Technology magazine, I believe.
  This story said that in the early days of cash registers, when
customers were not accustomed to them and did not necessarily expect that
they would be used for each transaction, merchants learned that 95 cent
and 99 cent pricing would usually require the clerk to make change. To
make change, he had to use the cash register, thus causing the bell to
ring and the cash drawer to open.
Bob