[Mgs] e-Bay Scams

Chris Attias cattias at ucsc.edu
Mon Dec 24 17:25:00 MST 2007

I've seen a lot of fraudulent offerings on e-Bay.  The most obvious
ones give a low-ball sales price, even though they don't have a "Buy
It Now" listing, and perhaps haven't completed enough sales to
qualify for one by the eBay rules.

They often refer to problems with their e-Bay email and give another
email address or phone number to call, and almost always ask for
money via Western Union or some other money-gram.  A weirdly short
listing period (what should be a $40,000 car on sale for a couple of
days) is also a tip-off, as is a photo with a license plate or photo
background that is at odds with the reputed address of the seller
(example: a car with Arizona plates and palm trees in the background
sold by some guy supposedly in West Virginia.)  Fraudulent listers
often steal the photos from another site or listing.  Worst case I've
seen was a series of listings using photos from a known midwestern
dealer--the driveway and buildings across the street were very
identifiable.  The fraudulent lister will also steal the description
text from the original listing.

I'd heartily recommend an escrow agent for car purchases of any great
value.  There's a maximum value that PayPal will protect you to, and
most sellers don't like PayPal for anything beyond the deposit anyway.

I've seen some pretty obviously bad listings.  If it smells bad, I
sometimes ask the seller direct questions about discrepancies in the
listing.  Most frauds won't respond.  Sometimes eBay figures it out
and writes to anyone contacting the lister via eBay to ask if the
lister has contacted them about a direct purchase.  It usually takes
them a day or two to check out and pull down the listing(s.)

If I see something suspicious and have the time, I write to eBay.  I
remember writing about the TD:

--
Chris Attias
Felton, CA