[Mgs] cool tool find

Hans Duinhoven h.duinhoven at planet.nl
Mon Dec 17 13:03:58 MST 2007

Agree with this strategy of better using a new one.

What I learned of steel behaviour after cold de-forming and reforming again
at thechnical colege, that this is cold manipulation of the material. This
will cause the threads become brittle.
IOW the material properties of the screw are absolutely not the same anymore
as the original bold or screw carried.
This means such a bold or screw cannot predictibly be loaded / stressed as
the original construction has been designed for.
I would not risk any important construction depending of such a repaired
bold or screw, unless it is the only remedy.

Example of such can be taken by bending forth and back of an opened tin can
lid.
After bending it several times, the lid will crack off.

Again I would say: Safety First before Safety Fast!

Cheers,

Hans