[Mgs] Moss Big Brake Kit

Larry Colen lrc at red4est.com
Mon Aug 20 16:39:24 MDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 09:32:15AM -0400, WSpohn4 at aol.com wrote:
#
# What it sounds like to me (only because I am intimately familiar with it)  is
# excessive end float on the front bearings.

I can believe this.

#
# This was a problem on the rear disc brake cars in particular including my
# Twincam and some early Jensen 541s. As you go through corners (hard) the hubs
# move back and forth enough to kick the pads back and you need to push them back
#  out before you get a nice hard pedal again. Not something you usually notice
# on  the street, as you rarely corner hard without braking.
#
# The cure is to make sure end float is at minimum and to use your left foot
# to move the pistons out while you are still on the straight, ready for the next
#  braking area. Becomes second nature to a Twincam driver, but I hadn't heard
# of  much problem on an MGB. Fitting rear discs to the MGB might actually make
# the  problem worse, not better as then you'd have two ends with pistons to
# push back  into the calipers.....

This is pretty much what I've been doing. I *thought* I had everything
adjusted right. I just really dislike having to do the game of tapping
the brakes a couple of times to get the brakes to work. I don't have
this problem at all in my Miatas (with 4 wheel disks).

--
                All your apex are belong to us.