[Mgs] Moss Big Brake Kit

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Sat Aug 4 18:44:55 MDT 2007

On Aug 4, 2007, at 5:28 PM, Max Heim wrote:

> On a very warm afternoon last summer I experienced this phenomenon
> -- it was
> a spirited run in the California coast range in the company of a
> couple of
> 911s and a highly modified BMW 2002 (it had a 3-series 6, among other
> things). I was striving to uphold the honor of Her Majesty's
> automobiles,
> and not doing too badly (one of the Porsches actually pulled over
> for me).

I too have experienced this.  In my case, it was a warm for the
season spring morning, in the company of two Hinckley Triumphs (by
invitation).  I didn't have to keep up really, just not fall too far
behind.

I was doing rather well for the upper part of Rattlesnake grade, but
that whole bit about stomping on the loud pedal until you have to
brake, then brake hard, let go, stomp loud again... Rinse and repeat
several times a mile makes brakes unhappy rather quickly.  I smelled
them before they really started to fade.  If your MG hasn't
experienced brake fade, you haven't found the right road.

I kept up with the Thunderbird, I never had a chance of staying
anywhere close to the Daytona.  That bike toyed with me for 300 miles.

Actually, I recently experienced some fading again, California 1 from
US-101 to the coast is a hell of a road, but it'll sneak up on you
too.  I suspect the only reason I didn't suffer fade on the Redwood
Hwy was the RV in front of me.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/
  '75 MGB (red for now), HIF4 carbs

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]