[Mg-t] original or revised seal kit

Lawrie lawrie at britcars.com
Sun Sep 22 07:37:52 MDT 2013

Ron,

The 433-415 kit was superseded because it assumed the crankshaft was in
the exact original location. Most engines, when rebuilt properly, have
the main bearing saddles line-honed or even line-bored, which almost
always slightly shifts the position of the crankshaft. The 433-415 seal
retainer positioned the seal relative to the original centerline so, if
the line-boring moved the crank more than a few thousandths, the seal
would not sit properly on the flange. One engine I rebuilt had the crank
so far off-center that the seal was completely flattened on one side and
not touching the other side of the flange!

This led to a re-design of the kit which allowed the seal retainer to
"float" before being properly centered with a special alignment tool
(included in the kit), as well as a comprehensively revised set of
instructions which include precise details of how to position everything
correctly and pictures of each step. Unfortunately, the 433-415
components cannot be modified to be the equivalent of a 433-421 kit.

So far, the revisions seem to have made the Moss kit into an excellent
fix for rear engine leaks, based on the fact that reported leaks and
complaints about difficulty of installation have dwindled to almost zero.

(And, FWIW, last time I checked, the kit sold by B&G in England is a
direct copy of the 433-415 kit.)

Lawrie