[Mg-t] Petrol Screen Filter

ImOZ ImOZ at columbus.rr.com
Thu Sep 12 20:12:43 MDT 2013

Listers,

Recently my TF suddenly would not start.  After much electrical system
trouble shooting, I found there was little or no gas getting to the carbs.

The gas tank and fuel lines were reinstalled during restoration without the
mesh screen that protects against debris.  In lieu of that, I cut the fuel
line and installed a modern, clear fuel filter.

This seemed OK until recently.  Significant debris had accumulated in the
filter.  Not a huge problem, I changed the filter.

However, no fuel would enter the line.  I siphoned the fuel from the tank
(or most of it), and removed the fitting at the bottom of the tank.

By means foul or fair, a small round soft ball the consistency of rubber
cement rubbed off one's fingers had caught in the fitting exiting the tank,
blocking the flow of fuel.

I found several others like it when the last gush of petrol exited the tank
into my catch-pan.  I tried cleaning the tank as best I could in situ, and
then hoped there were no more.

Sorry, too bad, the engine choked about 25 miles later, and had to be towed
home.  I presume another little rubbery ball has blocked the orifice to the
fuel line.

I would be grateful for any advice on how to assure the tank is totally rid
of such debris.

But for the rest of the season, I would prefer to get a new screen brazed
onto the brass fitting, or even better, procure a fitting intact with screen
filter.  I see that it is not available from Moss.

Can anyone refer me to a source for that bit, or offer advice on procuring
and fastening a substitute screen?  I believe such an arrangement will block
any further foreign matter left in the tank until I can properly treat the
inside of the tank.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Dan

54 TF