[Mg-t] over problem

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Thu Sep 15 15:30:04 MDT 2011

Hi Gene,
   Assuming that the fuel pump(s) is original type SU,  the overflow problem
is probably a sticking float needle in the top of the float chamber, or a
sinking float.
   First thing to do, and it may be final thing to do, it to give the top of
the float chamber a rap with the handle of a screwdriver.  That will usually
unstick the sticking needle.
   If that fails to stop the overflow and the click of the pump immediately,
friend should lift off the top of the float chamber and have a look at things.
This is described in section B.12 of the workshop manual.
   Sticking float needles are not all that infrequent, and they seem to be
sticking more with today's fuel than they did a decade back. The copper
overflow tubes guide the overflowing fuel away from the exhaust manifold.
Bob