[Mg-t] more clutch woes

Douglas Ormrod Douglas.Ormrod at Neurological.org.nz
Sat Oct 15 19:25:53 MDT 2011

OK, I heated and reshaped my LHD clutch rod and it worked out fine and fitted
nicely. However, even with it fully wound up to the max adjustment the clutch
does not disengage properly. I can just get it into gear but it creeps. My old
rod was pretty well fully adjusted to the max before it broke.

I did make a new hole on the pivot, but using that hole it would not even get
close to disengaging.

My peal box had a hole for the clutch stop but none was fitted. So from what
Dave said it could be that I had excessive clutch travel which has worn out my
clutch release bearing. Is that the most likely scenario? The clutch was a
reconditioned unit 7500 miles ago and the release bearing was new. Am I just
looking at replacing the  release bearing or is there likely to be other
damage?

At least I will now have the incentive to fix my gearbox which has been
sometimes  jumping out of third on overun for the last 5 years - been putting
it off!

Cheers

Douglas