[Mg-t] more clutch woes

John Seim kingseim at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 15 23:37:03 MDT 2011

Mike O'Connor at O'Connor Classic Automobiles started lengthening the
clutch link rod some years ago. He also drilled another hole in the
clutch
lever, that hangs from the engine.
I did some investigating, and this is what I found.
The original clutch rods are threaded down the rod 1/4" more, than the
replacement rods are.
The new clutch link rods are shorter by 1/8", than original. 12 7/8"
vs. 13".
Flywheel surfacing, clutch pressure plate resurfacing, can also
remove some
thickness from the equation, just not as much as the other items.
So, with new parts installed, you are at least 3/16" shorter in
adjustment lengths,
than with OEM parts. Add wear in lever holes, and other wear, and you
can be
left with a car that you cannot fully disengage the clutch, although
you have
installed new parts.
Moss Motors now sells an adjustable length clutch link rod. 190-422.
I set them
to 13 1/2" center to center of the clevis pin holes.

John Seim
Irvine, CA