[Mg-t] TD Steering Rack

Dave and Liz DuBois ddubois at sinclair.net
Sun Nov 22 23:06:33 MST 2009

John,

First off, the rack boots or gaiters available today don't hold up real
well, so when you order them, get the ones for MGBs.  they are longer
than the ones for the TD and don't get stretched as much, thus last
longer.  they are a bit smaller in diameter at the rack end, so are a
bit fussy to get on, but it can be done and they last longer.

There may have been a batch of tie rod ends that cam without zerks, but
I think that all do now.  If you ever have to do this job again, instead
of removing the tie rod ends from the steering arms, just measure from
the jam nut to the flats for a wrench to fit on the tie rod, record this
measurement, then loosen the jam nut and unscrew the tie rod out of the
end, replace the boot, then run the tie rod back into the end until you
have the same measurement - much easier and no need to have to reset the
toe in setting.

The shop manual says to use 90W (80W-90) gear lube in the rack.  I feel
that this is definitely the lubricant to use there, but there are those
who will disagree with that and contend that a good lithium based grease
will work fine.  The main thing is that some kind of lubricant be used
in the rack.  I have not heard of any racks disintegrating (or even
wearing out) regardless of which is used.

Cheers,
Dave