[Mg-t] TD Steering Rack

John Quilter jquilter at peoplepc.com
Sun Nov 22 22:48:48 MST 2009

The usual tool for splitting the tie  rod end assembly from the swivel pin
is a ball joint splitting tool.  The following website has a pic of one.
Shop around they may be available for less.
http://www.triple-c.com/Tools.cfm, alternatively a "pickle fork" and hammer
can be used.  The original tie rod end assemblies for a TD came with a zerk
fitting but more modern replacements are of the "sealed for life" type with
no fitting.  Both types may be still available.   The TD workshop manual
calls for Hypoid 90 weight oil for the steering rack.  Same as used in the
gearbox and final drive.  Multiweigh hypoid oils may be available for this
application now. It is a bit difficult to fill the rack from the central
zerk fitting.  I find a pump squirt type oil can is easier to use, just
insert the nozzle under the rack boot before fitting the clamp.

Note, when removing the tierod ends from the rack be sure to exactly count
the number of turns to remove, and refit with these number of turns or it
will be necessary to have the toe in/out reset by an alignment shop.

John F. Quilter
Brisbane, California
1951 MGTD
1960 Morris Minor