[Mg-t] TD Charging Problem

S Allen s4usea at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 11 11:40:31 MST 2009

Hi,

It's been a while since I've been on the list, and I've missed it.

As some of you may remember, I have a '52 TD.

The battery is no longer charging.  At 3500rpm the charge light is on,
the
ammeter is on zero, and when I put a voltmeter on the battery it's
at 12.4
volts.

The generator was re-built by a local armature shop five years ago.

I had the Reg converted to solid state four years ago by a gentleman on my
list.

Two questions:

1.  How do I use the voltmeter to test if the Gen or the Reg is the problem?

2.  Does anyone remember who does the OEM to solid state conversions?
believe he was somewhere up in NH or Vermont and I can't find the
receipt...

Any help appreciated, and it's good to be back,

Scott Allen

52 TD

74 1/2 BGT