[Mg-t] Abingdon, 1931

Douglas Ormrod Douglas.Ormrod at neurological.org.nz
Tue Nov 10 12:07:11 MST 2009

Em, well I was joking - I am well aware that new trestles were purchased
in 1953, and bigger hammers were issued in 1963 to help the parts fit
together better.

Until the 1980's invasion of the second hand Japanese car imports into
NZ I was mainly limited in choice to British cars of the 60's - Morris
Minors, Mini, Austin and Morris 1100s and 1300s. While I loved them all
- they were poorly built and there was never a time when something did
not need fixed - guess that is how I learned to mend cars - so not
complaining.

Cheers

Douglas

Hello Doug,

Well, er........no!.  I remember going on a school trip to Birmingham
and Coventry in 58 or 59, and one of the highlights for me (apart from
the Cadbury's chocolate factory) was the Standard/Triumph factory, and
the assembly lines churning out Vanguard IIIs and TR 3As were absolutely
unrecognisable to those of Abingdon in the clip.  In fact, to my young
and untutored eyes it may as well have been the set of a science fiction
film: all gleaming metal and bustle.

As anyone who lived through it will be glad to tell you, the demise of
the British car industry has much more to do with political interference
- from the left and right; in government and out - than outdated
manufacturing processes.   Ironic that the late leader of the Trades
Union Congress has recently been exposed as a Soviet plant.  Obvious to
anyone on the outside!

Regards, Lodge