[Mg-mmm] PB Crank Flange Removal.

jay at ukhistoric.com jay at ukhistoric.com
Thu Dec 29 09:17:51 MST 2011

Hi all!

Figured I'd finish off 2011 by stripping down the PB race motor for
various reasons.

I'm working now on removing the crank/flywheel flange.  After removing the
flywheel, we noticed that the crank nut was loose.  The crank is a Phoenix
crank and there are no provisions for locking the nut.  We have a
substantial puller bolted to the flange using all bolts, yet have not been
able to get the flange loose.

What tricks can be used to break this free?  We've tried a long pipe on
the puller wrench, a large air impact wrench(trying a bigger one over the
weekend), and hitting the puller end with a hammer.

Are the flanges available if this one needs to be cut off?  I'm concerned
about the heat treatment of the taper due to the loose nut and vibration.
Also concerned that the key has become lodged in the flange somehow.

Thanks!
Jason.
GUR963 P-Lester
PA, USA.