[Land-speed] 283?

Larry Mayfield drmayf at mayfco.com
Sat Nov 3 17:34:15 MDT 2012

For sure not a Sunbeam, lol.  I suspect this is the same kind of time
trials as are at all the other short courses and that timing is done on
a 132 ft trap at the end.  Just like the exit speed at B'ville.  It
would be more interesting if they did it the FIA way with a clock
started like a dragster at the starting line and then at the end with
the trap to get top speed. That would give average speed for the
distance as well as top speed.  I think Mickey Thompson had a double
handful of records doing something like that way back when on an airport
runway.  Not sure why photo cells would make a difference as to the
mechanism but any kind of beam breaking would suffice to trigger the
clocks.  This is not insignificant as anything going 283 mph from a
standing start in a mile  is going pretty damn fast!

The best part though is you have a Guinness ( is that something you
drink?...may be necessary to go that fast, for me anyway, lol) record,
lol... How quaint is that?  Why not bring it to EM and run it?

Not my cuppa tea...

mayf

drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.