[Land-speed] 283?

Wester Potter wester6935 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 3 23:39:40 MDT 2012

The first runs on the salt flats by the Blitzen Benz were timed with the stop
watches of attending spectators.  A flagman at the start and finish  of the
timing trap dropped a flag.

Ab Jenkin's first 24 hour endurance runs on the salt were not certified  by
the AAA because they had not been there to observe the runs.  Ab came back the
next year and did it solo, all over again, with observers.  He drank cold milk
to celebrate.

Wes

On Nov 3, 2012, at 5:34 PM, Larry Mayfield <drmayf at mayfco.com> wrote:

> For sure not a Sunbeam, lol.  I suspect this is the same kind of time trials
as are at all the other short courses and that timing is done on a 132 ft trap
at the end.  Just like the exit speed at B'ville.  It would be more
interesting if they did it the FIA way with a clock started like a dragster at
the starting line and then at the end with the trap to get top speed. That
would give average speed for the distance as well as top speed.  I think
Mickey Thompson had a double handful of records doing something like that way
back when on an airport runway.  Not sure why photo cells would make a
difference as to the mechanism but any kind of beam breaking would suffice to
trigger the clocks.  This is not insignificant as anything going 283 mph from
a standing start in a mile  is going pretty damn fast!

> The best part though is you have a Guinness ( is that something you
drink?...may be necessary to go that fast, for me anyway, lol) record, lol...
How quaint is that?  Why not bring it to EM and run it?

http://www.performancepowerracing.com/portfolio-view/2012-guiness-world-recor