[Land-speed] [non LSR]Electronics and other stuff like fuel mileage

RickByrnes at comcast.net RickByrnes at comcast.net
Tue Feb 16 21:23:31 MST 2010

BTW, my indictment of Toyota is not so much for their use of hardware
electronics as their inability to properly manage the software development.
The problem here is that when you get thousands of lines of software code it
gets impossible for the human brain to understand all the possible
interactions from unusual input combinations.

Software development is a bit unusual.B  Ford recognized in theB early
development of EEC that softwareB strategy was completely different than
calibrating an engine or other vehicle systems.B  Back then very few people
that wrote strategy ever really calibrated engines and visa versa.B  There
were a few, but even thenB one guy cannot think ofB all theB interactions.B  I
have no idea of how they do it today.

A logical follow-on question is what will our technical inspectors have to
say when someone shows up with one of these "fly by wire" Toyota's?

I wonder what the tech inspectors did for two throttle return springs on the
Prius that ran a few years ago.

The Fusion Fuel cell was fly by wire.B  We used a Ford Diesel pedal assembly
and I had them add return springs.B  They (ford and roush) thought it was
silly, but the car went thru two very thorough inspections with no problems on
the technical inspectors and no comments in our book..

Now, concerns about the "hydrogen bomb" were a little differentB  and really
unfounded, but thats a different story.

Gee I wonder where that book is these days.