[Land-speed] [non LSR]Electronics and other stuff like fuel mileage

23weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Tue Feb 16 19:11:28 MST 2010

I just happen to have an old almost empty can of Shinola and the residue
therein indeed has a substantial color and texture resemblance to mammalian
excrement, particularly the type that results from the organism's ingestion
of something that is abnormal in its diet. (How would I know about this but
that our family pet is a dachshund?)
Now for most of us the distinction between the two substances is quickly
made by our sense of smell.  However it is been noted here that politicians
cannot sense the difference.
We see and hear a lot of our politicians on the TV so it is pretty obvious
that they have reasonable acuity in vision and hearing.  But since TV cannot
convey anything about their sense of smell one could easily suspect that
they have lost that ability.  Perhaps the election process and the
associated funding environment creates the essential destruction of one of
the politician's five senses.
Nevertheless the Shinola Test may be the principal determinant of why the
behavior of politicians in the face of things that truly stink is so much
different from the rest of us.  I hereby rest my case awaiting further
evidence to support my hypothesis.
BTW, my indictment of Toyota is not so much for their use of hardware
electronics as their inability to properly manage the software development.
The problem here is that when you get thousands of lines of software code it
gets impossible for the human brain to understand all the possible
interactions from unusual input combinations.
A logical follow-on question is what will our technical inspectors have to
say when someone shows up with one of these "fly by wire" Toyota's?
Oh yeah .....re: mileage and emissions.  I agree with Dahlgren.
IMHO I think we should be in a pay tax at the pump based on the amount
emissions your vehicle puts out per gallon of fuel.  This is doable.  We
have the technology and the specific data from state emissions testing.  All
we need is a bar code or RFI chip on your car keys.
Ed Weldon