[Land-speed] A-arm and other bushings

race427 at aol.com race427 at aol.com
Tue Feb 16 08:46:49 MST 2010

GM Kirk,

Since this is for a race car only then I would say give it a try.
Solid A arm bushings were a common drag strip mod back in the 60's and
70's.  I would think that the suspension should feel and act more
responsive.  But, since this is land speed racing you would not have to
worry about any cornering.  As already mentioned I too would have
concerns about an 'over reactive' front suspension and / or steering.
Sort of riding a bicycle with a collision bent fork,  too much negative
caster.  You could always compensate for too loose steering with more
positive caster.    Chevy Monza, an interesting car, although I always
preferred the Vega myself.    Could never get over the fact that we had
to raise the V8 engine in order to replace one spark plug !!   Not
refined engineering?  LOL  GM, Ford and Chrysler had their opportunity
to give the Japanese auto industry and good fight in the 70's and they
blew it.   Sad to say, but I do not think we will ever come back to
what we once were.  :(   Different times, different economics and
environmental issues.  It would be great to see us get back to what we
were 40 yrs ago.

    Always wonder what the body style of a Honda Insight stuffed with a
high HP engine would do at Bonneville.   Prius also, but not as a
Hybrid.   Just wonder how aero-dynamic their body styles truly are?

   Good luck,  anxious to hear how your modifications work out.

  Thanks,

    Tony