[Land-speed] [not Land-speed]

23weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Tue Feb 16 09:32:51 MST 2010

I think Toyota is singing a some like that this year. The Japanese have
never been strong in software and this particular weakness has bitten out of
their automakers, at least Toyota, a big nasty chunk.  They sure got away
with blaming the floormats for a long time.
Toyota (and I'm sure other auto manufacturers) is learning what Microsoft is
struggling with.  Systems so complex that they area beyond the ability of
humans to completely control.  A software crash in your PC is a nuisance.  A
software crash in your automobile is a bit more of an inconvenience.
I wonder how long it will be before some government requires that all cars
sold must have a big red emergency stop button (like you see on lots of
industrial machinery) right in front of the driver.

Ed Weldon