[Land-speed] British Steam effort 139.843mph

Rick Byrnes Rick at RBMotorsports.com
Wed Sep 2 11:05:32 MDT 2009

To further the topic, in 2007, with state of the art equipment, the Ford
Hydrogen Fuel Cell Team tried to use real time data with what we might call
updated telemetrics equipment, and still had no data.  Until the race car
was on the return road, then they could remotely download everything rather
quickly.
Actually this was VERY successful in that the data was transmitted back to
the scientists and engineers in the pit just while the car was being towed
back.  By the time we reached our area at the far end of the pits, the team
knew virtually everything that happened during the run and were in the
middle of planning or correcting the problem.
Since refueling and re hydrating the fuel cells had to be done within a
specific time frame for stack durability and efficiency they had information
to make the right decisions.

Jon, when experimentation results in lost runs by racers that depend on the
reliability of SCTA/BNI and the timing personnel and equipment, it kind of
squashes experimentation.  I have not had that misfortune, but have seen it
occur.  NOT often, but I certainly wouldn't want to be that guy.  Especially
on a particularly hot return run.

I agree with you that a wireless system would be far superior to running
miles and miles of wire, and all the guys and gals that string, remove, and
repair that wire agree, Hell, you and Nancy probably were helping with that
wire in recent years.  I do think though that losing runs is an awfully high
price to pay unless the technology is VERY proven in many other venues.

Respectfully

Rick