[Land-speed] British Steam effort 139.843mph

Jon Wennerberg jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org
Wed Sep 2 10:42:41 MDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Wester Potter wrote:

> Jon,
>
> We HAVE experimented but the on salt reliability isn't there without
> a huge outlay of $$$.  We tried a timing system used in ski racing,
> we tried everything our radio supplier has available, we have had
> college students work on things in their engineering labs.  We keep
> trying new things as they become available but DEPENDABILITY ON THE
> SALT still isn't there.  Look at the problems you have had with your
> computer links.  You're never 100% sure you can get on line while
> you are on the salt.  You have said that in previous posts at other
> locations.  You have commented on trying some new systems but with
> no valid suggestions.  I guess there are some satellite links that
> could offer reliability but we can't afford them.  What we use now
> works 99.9% of the time ... and it's paid for.  You still have to
> rely on some kind of not too expensive sensor that is salt proof and
> won't be damaged if it somehow gets wet.
>
> If you find something new that is within our budget and is more than
> 99.9% reliable I'm positive we'd jump on it.  So would Rice Bros.
> and SCTA/BNI.  Until then we'll plod along with our tried and true
> system that works for us and more importantly, for the racers.
>
> Wes

No, Wes - I'm not saying that you haven't tried.  And I guess it's
time for a disclaimer -- I am not capable of designing the system I
envision.  I do, however, insist that technology is advancing and that
a concept such as I've suggested is worth investigating.  Why limit
the creativity to college students -- why not have the professors
investigate?  Why not have the commercial inventors investigate?  As
for suggestions, I again say that while I'm not the guy that knows
enough to invent -- I can try to point someone to a valid concept
worth investigating.  A huge outlay of money?  Well, why not?  Not by
an end-user, but by a firm or govenrment entity that might find a use
for the technology.

I am now sure that I can get on line while on the salt.  It hasn't
failed with the system I am now using.  Until it does - I AM 100% sure
I can get on line.

In the meanitme -- I won't let you tell me that it can't work because
there's something that already works okay.  Let's move ahead, not
stand still.

Buddfab is warming the motor at the end of the Int'l long course at
Bub's.

Jon