[Land-speed] British Steam effort 139.843mph

Jon Wennerberg jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org
Wed Sep 2 09:32:38 MDT 2009

On Sep 2, 2009, at 11:20 AM, Wester Potter wrote:

> It's obvious you have not worked timing on the salt.  We put down
> those miles of wire for a reason, dependability!  We use a computer
> program that limits numbers to the right of the decimal because you
> can't use more than three numbers for your speed.  Our computer
> gives additional possibilities but YOU don't need them.  We remember
> the times when radio contact is impossible because of atmospheric
> conditions on the salt.  Ask GMC about the year they ran the pickup
> truck with Don Stringfellow Sr. driving.  They had a chase van
> positioned parallel to the truck that could relay telemetry to the
> motorhome (they gave it to us several years later) that had radip
> connections to the GM proving ground computers.  It worked part of
> the time.  Do you want part of the speeds?  We certify the computers
> every year  by third party comparison with the atomic clock in
> Colorado.  We use a wireless link between the computer and receiving
> units across the course for time slips and at the start for the
> radio announcer ... but we put a wire across to the time slips in
> case the salt gremlins poke their ugly heads up which they
> occasionally have a tendency to do.  The other, reliable, high tech
> possibilities would boost your entry fees considerably because they
> are expen$$$$$ive.  That and dead on dependability and reliability
> is why we don't use them.
>
> Wes

Wes, it's obvious that you don't want to allow experimentation or you
wouldn't be telling us about what didn't work in the past.  I allow
that maybe the system now in use works -- but I respectfully suggest
that if nobody tries to improve with new technology -- nobody will
ever get any better system.  Your comments about prior attempts at new
technology hold some important words -- "...several years later..."
that tell us the technology is not the latest available today in
September 2009.  Experimenting is not cheap -- but notice that I have
not ever stated anything about how useable the system I'm dreaming
about is right at this instant.  If someone doesn't try to move
technology forward -- we're doomed to live in the past.

Jon