[Land-speed] Car Spins

speedtimer at beyondbb.com speedtimer at beyondbb.com
Thu Jun 11 16:22:53 MDT 2009

I have seen probably more spins from the timing trailer at the lakes and
salt then anyone. Over the years one can tell when a car is in trouble and
if  it in our visible area. I have seen them spin under every condition and
reason. There is never in most cases when it will happen or where. In 1957 I
spun in the 5th mile driving a rear engine modified roadster. Wasn't any
thing I did, the crank broke and locked up the drive train and it went round
and round. I have seen cars spin because the driver turned out to fast and
lost it, I have seen them spin at the lakes because of cross wind and
getting a wheel in a rut. Being over aggressive, wheel spin or just a bad
handling car. It's the repeat problems with the same vehicle that worries us
and we take steps to work with the owner/drivers to correct it.

Every run is documented. At Bonneville and the lakes we have people that
look into everything we report as needing action. They have years of
experience and will work with you and in some cases put you on the trailer
if necessary. It doesn't happen to often but is does happen. If there seems
to be a problem get the chute out first and in most cases it will save a
spin or worse.one rotation will ruin $1400 in tires. Common sense will be
your best friend.