[Land-speed] Off Topic: All those Emails telling us we have won money or Help is needing on transferring...

Jon Wennerberg jonwennerberg at nancyandjon.org
Sun Jul 5 18:41:54 MDT 2009

On Jul 5, 2009, at 7:26 PM, drmayf wrote:

You know, I get a lot of those things in my email inbox. I get a lot
because I had a chat with my ISP guy and told him that I would filter
my own junk , thank you very much. But, there seems to be zillions of
them and that got me to wondering... I wonder what the success rate is
for people falling for the scams?  Anybody ever heard or have a
guestimate? They must work on some level. Some are so  outlandish,
that it would sem to me that the least experienced novice would know
that they are fake.

mayf

I wonder how many folks open the spam/mails saying "photo album" or
"software enclosed" or stuff like that.  I've got this 'puter trained
to send it all to the junk folder -- but I still scan through it to
see if something real got into the junk.  I don't open anything I'm
not 100% satisfied is okay, though.  I haven't got any "Zillion
dollars in a country you've never heard of" emails in quite a while,
but still get the usual pharmaceutical ads (one there right now, I
see, says "Boost your bomber", another says "Become virile like a
rabbit".  One says "sending you the archive".  I'm entertained by 'em,
that's for sure.  Still don't open them).

       Jon Wennerberg
Tall guy with moustache
and a pair of 2 Club hats