[Land-speed] new toy- 3D scanner?

Ed Weldon 23.weldon at comcast.net
Thu Feb 26 16:49:10 MST 2009

The NextEngine 3d scanner is fascinating. Especially the $5K price. In
another area I won't go into here it looks to have good uses for small
enterprises for which the investment of 30K or more for a larger scanner is
out of the question.
 But I'm having a hard time coming up with useful applications in what we do
to build race cars, even for the guys who are professional chassis or engine
builders.  One possibility is reproducing an unreplaceable rocker arm.  Scan
it and use a 3d printer to give you a wax model for investment casting.
Then cast it in an alloy like 17-4 Ph stainless steel, which is fairly
strong.  We have a foundry here in northern CA that investment casts that
alloy on a regular basis.
Might be some possibilities for the street rod or restorer world to replace
OEM white metal parts.  Say something like a 34 Ford Greyhound.
I can see where the FARO arm wouldn't be of much use for a hood ornament
although for the engine builder who has reached a level of sophistication
whare he has a granite surface plate in his shop big enough to hold an
engine block the FARO arm could be very useful.
Ed Weldon