[Land-speed] new toy- 3D scanner?

Del Solid delsolid at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 13:38:05 MST 2009

We actually have that exact machine here at my work (the printer, not
the scanner). It's very cool but with options and stuff it was closer
to $27-28K.

The real benefit is to make prototype tooling before committing to a
casting. It is very nice but the surface is not very smooth and it is
subject to some dimensional shift if you model a very tall part. But
still very much worth the money if you do that sort of thing.

It is pricy to run as it uses lots of media and it's not cheap. It
also uses a plastic tray that the model is formed on and they are not
reusable either.

Our machine probably runs 75+ hours a week.

I think the desktop scanner is very cool indeed. We make alot of
connectors where a sample is available but they are not available to
purchase in quantity, forcing us to reverse engineer a mating
connector (think car ECU's). That scanner would be a godsend if it did
what they say.

We currently use a 3D FARO arm but it is not well suited for small parts.

John